Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How many atoms thick is the average human hair?

I guess the question is pretty self-explanatory, but here's some backstory if anyone cares:



A while back in high school, I joked that if everyone on Earth was an atom thick (a group of us was hanging out with this cool physics teacher after school, and we were talking about the effects of a black hole on a person), that we would all have to 'come together' to form the thickness of a human hair. Today, I suddenly remembered that, and now I'd like to know if I was totally off, or if I was actually close.



How many atoms thick is the average human hair?

Human hair is about 70 micrometer thick.



Diameters of atoms are 0.1-0.5 nm



I will use diameter of carbon atom, since



we are carbon-based life:



Diamter of carbon atom is 0.22 nm



Thus hair is 70 micrometers/ 0.22nm = 300,000 atoms thick



How many atoms thick is the average human hair?

there are approximately 4.543 X 10^55 atoms in a human hair.



The hair is made up of diCalcium PentafFlouride TetraHydrate

13 comments:

  1. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070605153721AAu0BU8

    ReplyDelete
  2. give me 1000000 dolars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. Human Hair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. fusion bonded hair extensions

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the wake of perusing this blog, I might want to request more articles over and over. I am feeling myself as fulfill by became more acquainted with these all such data which never went as far as anyone is concerned. Please essayist more. Perths Expert Scissor Sharpening

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is the number one time I came to this blog and i discovered a few applicable stuff proper right here. essentially I keen to realize new parameters of writing every-time and someday it turn out to be actually very tough to find such type of platform. Scissor Master

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard that it takes 1000000(million) atoms in a scientific book. Guess that was wrong��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard that it takes 1000000(million) atoms in a scientific book. Guess that was wrong��

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard that it takes 1000000(million) atoms in a scientific book. Guess that was wrong��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once in a while we need to confront a great deal of perplexity when we discovered diverse assessment of various several articles identified with same question. In any case, I think now I am near resolve my questions subsequent to perusing this blog. hair scissor sharpening perth

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is truly a supportive blog to locate some unique source to include my insight. I came into mindful of new expert blog and I am inspired with proposals of creator. Perths Expert Scissor Sharpening

    ReplyDelete
  12. i discovered this weblog after a long time that's clearly beneficial to allow understand unique techniques. i'm going to adopt the ones new issue to my career and thankful for this assist. Scissor Master

    ReplyDelete
  13. Хотите найти, в какой компании-производителе приобрести деревянные окна? Советуем фирму СВ Окна, которая производит окна с 1995 года. Компания делает широкую гамму оконных изделий от недорогих до роскошных. Даже самый прихотливый покупатель обнаружит качественные деревянные евроокна. В номенклатуре производимых окон имеются недорогие деревянные окна из соснового бруса, деревянные евроокна, дерево-алюминиевые окна, двери-порталы, складные двери.

    ReplyDelete

 
nortonantivirus